Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Grandmother

My grandmother is an amazing lady. We call her Girl. It's a long story how she came to be called Girl. It's not important to explain right now. This is Girl with 1-month old Spencer. She turned 90 a few weeks after this picture.

Here they are again on Spencer's 2nd birthday. I'm very worried about Girl. Her "baby" brother (he was 81) unexpectedly died this morning. She has outlived all of her siblings (5 brothers and 1 sister) and her husband. She has also outlived most of her friends.

What do you do when everyone you knew from your younger days is dead? Are you happy to be alive but depressed that everyone else is gone?

Girl's family lives in Pennsylvania. I took her on a trip to visit everyone in June, 2007 when I was pregnant. We had been talking about doing it for years and knew it would be our last chance before I became a momma.

Girl and her baby brother the day we left. It was the last time she saw him.I called Girl last night and, because NOBODY in my family had told me Uncle Bash (it's a nickname) was in the hospital, I casually said "hey, what's going on?" She burst into tears. She very rarely, if ever, cries. I felt so bad for her.

Girl's mother died when she was 10 and her father died when she was 13. The 7 kids raised themselves and each other. Uncle Bash was the baby of the family. I think Girl is just beside herself trying to figure out how to handle being the last living person of her family.

I don't know what to do to help her.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I am so sad for Girl - I am sitting here crying. :( Maybe you can take some time and go down to be with her? That may help. It seems to help to have someone nearby, maybe not even to talk with, but just to have a presence there.
Good luck Natalie, I'm thinking about you all!

The Yager Family said...

I am SO sorry! Love to you and to Girl... Laura may be onto something with the idea about a visit??

Maryellen said...

Aw Natalie, I'm so sorry.

Megan said...

So hard....My great grandma lived to be 100 and out lived all her siblings, husband, one of her children, and most if not all her friends. It's a hard time but I think having children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren is a great help. My thoughts are with her.