Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Storage

I have to re-do the way we store Spencer's toys every 3-4 months. It's not that the previous set-up didn't work or was poorly planned out- it's that his interests, abilities and toys change every 3-4 months and with them, the way things are put away.

We have drawers in our living room coffee table and for the first 3 months of Spencer's life I could fit just about everything (except books) in those drawers. After that we moved on to baskets. Then there was a combo of baskets and bins.
Here is my newest storage solution. This should last until he turns 2. I bought these stacking bins at IKEA. They are nice because Spencer can take the lids off by himself. I just unstack them in the morning and he can get to all his toys. They are big enough to hold most of his stuff, but still small enough that I can tuck them away in the corner.

I used to have all of Spencer's books in big baskets in this nook in the entertainment center. Then we realized that the dimensions were perfect for stacking his big blocks. I don't know if HGTV would approve of this from a design point of view, but it certainly works well.


3 comments:

The Yager Family said...

You are my organizational hero!

Maryellen said...

You want to come organize my house? Also, that's such a cutie picture of Spencer.

=)

Jennifer said...

I love those blocks . . . very cool. As far as HGTV goes - I am sure their designers would just have a fit with the lovely baby swing that sits in our living room. I once heard a designer say that you should keep all kid "stuff" - swing high chair, toys, the child - out of sight when not in use - SERIOUSLY?!?!?! - everytime a designer tells someone to "hide" something it is soooo obvious that these people people do not have children.