Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reading

It took me about 18 months after Spencer's birth to get to the point where I feel like I can read anything longer than a magazine or newspaper. I am not the type of reader to read a few pages here and there and take a couple of months to read a book. I like to sit down and read chunks at a time, especially if it's a good book. And really, why would you keep reading if a book isn't good?

The first book I read was Julie and Julia, My Year of Cooking Dangerously.

I wanted to read it when it first came out, but for reasons I don't even remember, never got around to it. The movie version is coming out this summer though and I wanted to make sure I read it before seeing the movie. It was good. Not great, but good. It made me me want to eat a lot of French food.

The second book I read was The Time Traveler's Wife.
Again, the movie version is coming out and I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. It was excellent. Right up there with my favorite books of all time. I'm trying to get Michael to read it now so we can discuss it in depth and go see the movie together. It's taking a lot of convincing.

I still want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was sold out when I went to buy it though. After that I have nothing on my list.

Suggestions????

3 comments:

The Yager Family said...

Today is really my first day of summer break (since yesterday would have been a holiday anyway, I don't count it!), and I was thinking about what books I'm going to read! Then I read your post! Great minds....
As for suggestions, I haven't read much lately either, for obvious reaons. But... hae you read the Twilight series? What about The Secret Life of Bees? Another on my list is Sag Harbor, by Colson Whitehead. I'm also going to take your suggestion of The Time Travelers Wife. =)

Maryellen said...

I've probably told you this before and I can't remember if you've read it or not but if you haven't you have to read East of Eden. It's FANTASTIC!!!

Valley of the Dolls was a lot of fun to read. You won't feel brainy after reading it but it's pretty juicy.

Jennifer said...

You mean there will come a time when my reading choices will be something other than Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Goodnight Moon, Go Dog Go and Moo,Baa, La La La?

Because of my job I read a lot of young adult fiction - and I agree with the Yager Family - the Twilight series is worth reading.

Many years ago my book club read The Red Tent and it was very enjoyable - I also really liked a book called How to be Lost.