Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I have a confession to make

Pride and Prejudice is the only book I never actually read before writing a paper on it.

There.... I admitted it.

I had to read Pride and Prejudice for my British Literature class during my Junior Year of High School. I know that many, many people consider this book to be their favorite, but I found it to be boring, tedious and monotonous.

In lieu of actually reading the whole book, I read the first chapter, the last chapter, the Cliffs Notes and I watched the movie.

I got an A on that paper.

Have you heard about this new book, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I think it's going to be the next book I read. A little zombie action might be just the think to spice up that vapid Bennet family.

I feel like I owe it to Ms. Markum to read the whole thing through, even if it's 13 years later and even if the original book has been injected with brain eating zombies.

3 comments:

The Yager Family said...

Do you mean to tell me that some of my students might actually not be reading their assigned novels?? Why I never.......

Maryellen said...

I'm impressed you've read any of Pride and Prejudice. We own it and I haven't read ANY of it. It makes me feel well read just having it on our shelf.

I'm impressed you remember your English teacher's name. I actually remember my junior year English teacher but it's because he was the WORST teacher ever. You want to know what books were on our reading list that year? Nothing.

Sherry said...

Oh please please give Pride and Prejudice a try...if you don't like it, I am afraid we'll no longer be blog twins. Hehe! Yes, I admit it is one of my most favorite books. I am probably just a hopeless romantic, but I just love Mr. Darcy! And if you can get past the old English way of speaking, you'll actually see that Jane Austen is actually a very witty and funny writer. The way she actually makes fun of certain types of people (the snobby, rich, and stuffy old ladies are a big favorite of hers) is so hilarious! :-) Yes, I am bored and am scanning through old posts of yours that catch my eye.