Sunday, March 29, 2009

The wine and cheese party and my broken heart

We had some friends over last night for a wine and cheese party. I did a really bad job of capturing the evening because I was busy playing hostess.

Amy was trying to duck out of the picture. I think her quick movement messed up the flash, so this one came out really dark.

Michael, Spencer, Megan and Brendan hanging out on the king chair.

Scott and Phil (and Gail's arm).

Ginger by the new picture. It says "let sleeping dogs lie".


Phil asked if there was a special occassion for the night. I explained that the real reason for the party and the theme of the party was so that I could use all my dishes in one event. I had 2 "stations" set up on the dining room table, 1 on the island, 2 on the kitchen table and 1 on the patio. Each station had a bottle of wine, a different type of cheese and a different type of hors d'oeuvres. This set up allowed me to use a lot (though not all) of my dishes. I love dishes!

This is my absolute favorite dish of them all. I bought it in Germany 3 years ago when I went on a little Polish Pottery bender. I love Polish Pottery! And this is the best one I own. It is a Unikat design, meaning it is rare and extra special.


Look at what happened last night!


I am absolutely DEVASTATED! I put a wheel of cold brie in it and then put it in a hot oven. The temperature change cracked it right in half. I know it is just a dish and there are worse things in life, but I am seriouly sick to my stomach about this.

I spent 2 1/2 hours online last night and another hour this morning searching for a new one. I found a lot of georgeous round bakers and several other pieces in this pattern, but the only site I found with exactly this piece is no longer operational. I even tracked down the factory where it was produced in Poland. They don't even have the pattern on their site. Why did I have to fall in love with the rarest Polish Pottery of them all?


My heart is broken.


My plan, if I'm not able to find a new one, is to pick and buy a new round baker to use for food and glue this one together to be used as a heartbreaking wall hanging.

3 comments:

The Yager Family said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! You know though, it sounds like you had a fun party - so make it a wall hanging glued together and use it as a reminder of fun times rather than a reminder of your broken heart??

Maryellen said...

My jaw literally dropped when I saw the broken dish. That's so sad.

Robin (Chelsea's mom)(!) said...

Now I know another reason why I've always liked you!!...I too am a dish person who would have hundreds of patterns of dishes if finances would allow (also space!!)..so much better than clothes shopping!...I am so sorry about that beautiful dish..but I see on the latest blog that you can replace it (..and more???)