Saturday, January 10, 2009

Exciting news

Since driving home after Christmas with this chair





on my lap, we decided that a "family car" was in order. The original plan was to buy something used with low miles. We even, gasp, looked at some mini-vans. I was actually really looking forward to the 3 rows of seats. It seems practical and spacious. (My god, I'm a suburban mom.)



We went car shopping yesterday and were pleasantly surprised to discover that Hyundai was selling off the rest of their 08's at a great price. We already have a Hyundai Sonata so we also qualified for their owner loyalty promotion in addition to getting a factory rebate.


We thought we'd also knock some pennies off the price by trading in our other car, but we gave thumbs down to the price offered by the dealership. OK, so it is a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim that my grandparents owned for 16 years before giving it to us, but $200 is a slap in the face. Even without the trade-in the cost of a used car was only about $400 cheaper than a new car so..... for the first time ever, we are the proud owners of a brand new car. A 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. It sounds fancy even when I type it.
Isn't it beautiful?


The original mileage was "32", but we didn't think to take a picture until 59 miles.


Since we now own two Hyundai's I think we need to name them so we know which one we're talking about. Saying "I'm taking the Santa Fe" or "how much gas does the Sonata have" is too laborious and wordy and obviously we can't say "the Hyundai" anymore. I'm voting for "Kip" for the Santa Fe. Michael is not on board, despite the fact that this is a very funny line from Seinfeld.

So, help us name the Santa Fe and Sonata. If you're the winner I'll give you some sort of home-baked goodie the next time I see you.




Anyone in the market for a 1990 Plymouth with a missing tail light and a broken air conditioner? It's got a good engine and a lot of giddy-up-and-go. We'll give you a good price with very little haggling.


3 comments:

Maryellen said...

"Whitey" for the Santa Fe and "Casper" for the Sonata.

The Yager Family said...

Congrats! I'll think about names, but sleep deprivation has dried up my creative juices...

Anonymous said...

Sonny for the Sonata and Santi for the Santa Fe - I'm soooo original, but I really do prefer easy! :)